Saturday, October 11, 2008

Simpler times and technology

First off let me state that my intention is to create this space as a daily practice for downloading a thought, eventually uploading a new piece of art each day and equally important connect with you (even if it is just me viewing right now).

This practice may turn out to be an egoic exercise into creating less and thinking more which to me equates as wasting time. However, initially I believe there is a positive way to use this forum and create space in my life for life to just show up. By pulling down the walls of thought, veil of fears and functioning out of a role or act (to look good - or not look bad) - all of which will surface here I am sure because they are human traits or definition of existence. The practice for me is to recognize them, call them to the surface and let them be so my inner self or being can shine through.

OK now to the post: Simpler times to me is the desire to bring back the adventure, patience and experience I had when I was a child. To do that in this marketed world of speed, flashes of thought, short attention span and have it now mentality (all of which is a part of me) is like juggling flaming swords with a blindfold on. My spirit desires the times (feeling, and experience of ) where I waited all week for a show to come on and then focused my attention on it, because we only had a few channels, no VCR etc... NO TV is actually better.
The feeling of laying in a field of tall grass in the fall with the warm sun keeping the chill of the air at bay - just over the surface of my body, all the while I could hear it and smell it. Calling and going to a friends house and actually just sharing in the fun without any other thought taking the foreground.
As I am typing this thought in this blog (technology) I am transformed back not into nostalgia as it may appear, but more of a realization or sense that I can still be that now. Maybe it is not a battle of technology vs. simpler times. Maybe it is about using the technology that applies to who I am being and what activities fall from that. If I am being that man who desires that space, connection, experience and adventure then possibly some of the technology (definitely the marketing/thoughts of who I should be as a man, father, husband, friend and successful artist should be or should look like) will just fall away. The more I continue to believe the thoughts and position the two (simple time and technology) against each other, the greater the frustration. I created the heading the statement "simpler times and technology" unconsciously using and, while my old story of "either or" had me believing versus.
This does bring to my awareness an ongoing conversation that surfaces for me which is "either or, pick one". I never remember when I am in that conversation that I do not have to pit one against the other!

I never even got into the frustration part of technolgy which spurred this whole thought before coming to a sense of inner rest. Chalk one up for technology in the foreground, but give all of my thanks to BEING in the background - that which no-thing could exist without it!

No comments: